Wednesday 17 February 2010

Training and Fund-Raising

Since the end of 2009 I have concentrated on getting my fund-raising campaign off the ground and getting on my bike as much as possible. The weather hasn't helped with the latter, but an inexpensive turbo trainer has solved that particular problem. (Though I haven't run this one for long, and so have no idea how long it is going to last, I'd be interested to know what you get for a more expensive version.) When it comes to turning your legs over, this could not be simpler. Changing gear on the bike, increases the workload and thereby the effort. Certainly at this stage in my training it has proven to be ideal and at less than £50, a bargain.

As for the fund-raising, things are going equally well. As you will have seen from my fund-raising webpage, www.virginmoneygiving.com/johnbakewell I chose Samaritans for personal reasons. William and his family will be in my thoughts throughout my time in the saddle.

I have discovered that there is a lot more to fund-raising than collecting a few sponsors and things have changed considerably since I last tried to raise money doing the London Marathon in 1997. There's a lot more red tape for a start. There are also a lot more people after your money these days and I can't at all blame the public for getting a little charity weary. It is incredible how generous people have been and are, when you consider all the organisations that exist purely on the back of charitable donations. Don't let anyone tell you that the British public doesn't care.

In the end with the help of local branch volunteers I split my fund-raising into two main streams. The first is through the website and the second by getting out on the street, on my bike on the turbo trainer, with a tin. This way Samaritans volunteers get to talk to the public about what they do and I get to raise some cash for them whilst we're at it. Oh, and I get some training in at the same time.

To date the website sits at just under £400 if you include the gift aid and the first public training/fund-raising session is this Saturday, the 20th Feb, on the Town Hall steps in Ipswich. At this point I would like to thank Wendy and Nicky at Ipswich Borough Council for helping with issueing licences etc and for making this event happen so easily. Fingers crossed for the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment