Wednesday 10 February 2010

Rehashed Giant will do.

With the Anthrotech duly sold on, I started to consider the alternatives and found myself increasingly drawn to the idea of converting my trusty old mountian bike into a tourer. A hard tail Giant that I had inherited from my younger brother some years earlier, it needed a rigid front end and a new set of running gear.

Finding forks that would fit 26 inch wheels and fit my existing brakes and take a set of low rider pannier bags proved interesting, but John St Cycles in London supplied me with a pair of Thorn steel forks that have proven ideal at £99 for a set.

The running gear was replaced taking into account the need for a decent set of low ratio gears for the hills in Cornwall and beyond, and a complete set of Ortleib panniers finished off the conversion. From here on in it would be all about the training and planning of the route itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment