Tuesday 23 March 2010

Chain wear

I dropped the bike off to Mr Cycle in Wymondham yesterday to discuss some upgrade options and to check on the wear and tear on the chain, chain rings and rear cassette. I guess I was hoping to curtail some of the spending, since even a small event like this can begin to mount up, but, there are some things that I don't want to cut corners on. Tyres and chains are two of those.

Despite the chain being less than 6 months old, it has now done in the region of 8-900 miles and I discovered was as a consequence thoroughly worn down. Not surprisingly the rear cassette also showed signs of wear especially in the middle gears....the Norfolk gears! No doubt they won't be the same gears that show wear when I start up the Cornish hills, but they need changing none-the-less.

The decision to change the size of the Granny ring, (the smallest of the front sprockets was an easy one too, as was the inclusion of an extra large sprocket on the rear cassette, (it has a proper name that I will edit later,) for those really steep hills. We'll see how they go.

Check out mrcycle, he knows his stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment