Tuesday 23 March 2010

Further fund-raising

Since my two previous long road days, I have been busy fund-raising in Bury St Edmunds and Norwich City centres.

Bury was windy and bitterly cold for the willing volunteers of the local group who came to support me. As with alot of other things though, it's location, location, location and with it being market day our position in the middle of one of the thoroughfares leading to the town centre proved ideal.

Outreach for Samaritans is so much more than raising money. The time passes incredibly quickly with so many people to talk to. I shall be sorry not to be able to take a few of you along with me when I set off, though I shall at least have a changing view. None-the-less we still collected a much appreciated £221 in 3 1/2 hours for whcih the Bury Samaritans are extremely grateful.

The first of three Norwich outreach/fund-raising cycles took place on the 27th march in Castle Mall. Situated outside the Norwich City store on the biggest league match of the season saw us well supported again. Seven hours on a turbo trainer at home would be a life sentence, even with a good film to watch, but with so much interaction throughout the day, the time passed quickly.

As an interesting aside, I read an article recently in the CTC magazine about compulsory cycle helmet usage. One of the arguements for not making them compulsory went something like this...

Wearing a helmet gives the rider a false sense of security, especially in traffic.

Well on the way back from the Mall to the Samaritans office I cycled without a helmet, since I hadn't needed one on the turbo trainer and had subsequently left it at home by mistake. As I wove my way through the traffic, I felt incredibly vulnerable, yet nothing else had changed but for the lack of a cycle helmet! All I can say is, a helmet might, I stress, might, protect your head a smidgeon, but it isn't a suit of armour!

As I cycle through the traffic of Exeter, Bristol and Liverpool I shall be more careful than ever. Helmet or not!

Safe cycling.

No comments:

Post a Comment