Wednesday 28 April 2010

Mid Wales in one go!


Today was always going to be the ultimate test for me. With sore legs from 325 miles already completed, this leg was planned as another 85 miles with 4,000 feet of climbing. From my experience so far I was genuinely worried that I had bitten off more than I could chew. The upside, however, more help on the way.My younger brother Andy, who had rallied from a bout of Noro virus earlier inthe week, planned to meet me half way.

The route today would follow the Wye valley all the way to Llandiloes, before branching off to the north and west to reach the 8 mile decent into Machynlleth.

This route can be completed in its entirety on the Sustrans (sustainable transport) network route 8 and is another of those highly recommended cycling tours if you get the chance. Maps can be bought from sustrans and come complete with route and markers for rest stops.


Considering the height that I was to gain today, the early part of the route was relatively benign, following as it does the gently meandering flow of the river. Flanked on either side by ancient deciduous woodlands and acres of green fields, the morning passed much more quickly than I expected and I was soon in Rhayader, where I met Andy for a welcome half and lunch.

While I attended to blogs etc, he set to, changing my now very worn out brakes.









The route is full of surprises. I've noticed on previous visits to Wales that there are a number of good murals and this must be one of the most incredibly complex. For the train enthusiast, there are of course miles of now derelict rail network and the occasional monument to its passing.
















Andy left me at Llandiloes where he had left his car, and drove from there to Machhynlleth to meet Judith in whose home I was due to stay tonight. From there they would both climb the relentless 8 miles to the summit above the town, whilst I climbed to meet them from the east. Mine was a gradual rollercoaster of a ride, there's a thigh burning heartless detroyer of pretenders. Pretenders they were not, however and unbelieveably we arrived at the summit at exactly the same time.

The decent is incredible, scary, exhilarating and relaxing all at once. The final leg of a very very long day.

If you're reading this, please check back over the last couple of days, because I have now added the pictures and finished yesterdays entry.

Tomorrow the trip to Snowdonia and then the climb of Snowdon to follow.

1 comment:

  1. Photos are excellent and I am glad that the beer is back on the cycling menu! Good to see Andy too and I see how you made him suffer with the big uphill ride!! It must be great to have a bed some nights, the pool room floor did not look that good.
    Keep it up and looking forward to the Snowdon pictures and blog.

    ReplyDelete