Monday 26 April 2010

Two bridges


The pool table floor could have been comfortable enough for another two hours at least but I hoped to have had breakfast and blog complete before Simons arrival. He was cycling down to meet me before navigating me through the rush hour traffic into Bristol.

He duly arrived at just before 8 having completed the 20 odd miles in under an hour. Trimmer than I remember, he had swapped rugby for triathlons, having completed iron man twice in recent times.



We completed the trip back into Bristol in a little over two hours, approaching via the mecca for end to enders, the Clifton Suspension Bridge. I should have taken more photos here because the view up and down the gorge is stupendous, instead plumming for another bike picture....one of those that I promised earlier to try and avoid. At least the bike lends perspective. A little like Simon's bike that you could hold above your head in one hand.

Bristol is a beautiful city and one that should not be rushed through as I was about to do. On this evidence the best way to do LEJOG, would be to wait for retirement and take a year over it. Even then it would feel rushed.

Bristol is surprisingly hilly and with lots of green spaces. One of these, a large deer park took us through to the centre of town where we stopped for a coffee before heading north toward the Severn Bridge.

The only problem with letting someone else take care of the navigation, is that you tend to sit back and enjoy the view rather than take note of exactly where you are. I know that we passed Clifton College, where Simon works, and the Zoo which backs onto it, but after that the myriad of small country lanes blended into one as Simon and I caught up on ten years.

Eventually Simon left me at the Welsh end of the bridge before he headed back into the city. Thanks Simon for a great day and for taking the load for a while, (psychologically).

The ccycle track on the bridge takes you into Chepstow, but I skirted around the town, passing the race course as I headed for Tintern Abbey further up the Wye valley. Thank you to two ladies running a burger van, who kindly donated two bottles of water to the cause. People can be so generous.

Tintern Abbey served as an amazing backdrop to my lunch as I sat beside the Wye. A group of young Canadians came and sat nearby, balanced as I was, on the top of the high muddy bank of the river.

One of the girls dropped her can of drink down the bank and proceeded gingerly down after it prompting me to ask the young man whether or not chivalry was dead. He though about it for a second, saying how much he was enjoying watching the girl struggle, but then promptly lept up and started to follow her. With too much momentum, his enthusiasm combined with the mud saw him accelerate past his damsel in distress, toward the river below. How he stayed on his feet I'll never know and fortunately he stopped just short of the water, but how we all laughed. If only I'd had a video...if only!

From Tintern the roads were kind to Monmouth, but then cruel to Michaelchurch Escley, where Hugh and Anna have the most increndible home nestling as it does amongst Hereford's winding lanes, with the Black Mountains as the backdrop to the west.

An ice cold bath followed by a hearty supper with more good friends that I hadn't seen in years, the perfect end to another amazing day. Thank you again to Simon and to Hugh and Anna for your help and hospitality.

7 comments:

  1. I once stayed in a hotel which over looked the Clifton Bridge, very spectacular indeed. The best part of the hotel room was that you could lay in the bath and watch TV at the same time!!
    No cake or beer, be careful you must keep your strength up! Life here in Suffolk is very sleepy today - it is rather humid and expected to be in the low 20's by lunchtime. I hope the weather is kind to you, no rain but no heat either. How many miles to go or do you not want to think about that??!! Laura, if you are reading this, Hi to you and George XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure about the mieag Toofar to go. I did 85 yesteday and have done 30 so far today. Shortly to meet up with Andy, whih wil be a boost because my legs are hurting bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, John, really enjoying being in Accra and able to keep up with your progress. Went to the gym yesterday and did 20 minutes on the bike. Really impressed with what you are doing. That was all I could manage! On the hurting legs, any chance of buying/begging for bags of ice when you can - it will reduce the soreness. Beer is good, but surprisingly ice is better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep your spirits up John, just think how bad your legs will feel when you hit Snowdon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your support. I draw alot of encouragement from reading your notes. Penny, I have sat in a freezing cold bath for 15 minutes the last two nights, as soon as I stop. After the initial agony of immersion, it's not too bad!

    Ali, I am walking like a clown. I'm not sure how I'm going to walk up a mountain! I think that Caber will have to pull me up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! Mr osborne would be proud of you - the clifton suspension bridge is his favourite bridge EVEEEERRRR IN THE WHOLE OF ETERNITY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where's the updates? Saw Laura when she returned and heard the story of Caber in the car! Hope all is still going well for you. Keep on cycling.

    ReplyDelete