Thursday 29 April 2010

People can be amazing



I'm now sitting in T H Roberts coffee shop in Dolgellau after a stiff climb from Machynlleth. With only 50 miles to chew out today I gave myself a lie in and got up at 06:15. The extra time this morning allowed me to catch up on the blog, have a good breakfast and leave at a leisurely pace at 8.

Now at just before 11, I have covered 16 miles and am beginning to gear myself up for the inevitable climb of Snowdon in the rain. I have climbed Snowdon at least 5 times and have yet to see the view from the top! Tomorrow looks like being no different though there is a brief weather window during the night. I might go for that instead. Not only will this be more fun but will also allow me a complete day off with Laura and George tomorrow.

So to Dolgellau and the amazing people here. First off the owner of Dolgellau cycles, despite being incredibly busy, took the time to check and tighten both cranks and the bolts holding the gear change mech at the back. I had developed an annoying creak over the last 24 hours. He would take nothing for his work and I am very grateful.

Now I sit in the most amazing coffee shop with internet access and great food. Not only that, but on hearing that I was raising money for Samaritans, they gave me the coffee and flapjack free, but threw in 3 more pieces of flapjack for the journey!! It's going to be difficult to tear myself away from this place. Again and again, thank you.


I did manage to leave the comfort of T H Roberts and have been enjoying the flapjack since. The climb to the youth hostel would have been easier had I not made a slight navigational error. Thankfully here at least you can rely on an excentric to pop his head out of some derelict cottage miles from anywhere, just when you need one. Directions duly received and heeded, I was soon at the door of this incredible hostel. Apparently previously a holiday home!, it would put most of our lowly homes to shame. If you haven't tried youth hostelling, this is another Bakewell recommendation.

There is something wholesome about sharing breakfast with so many people....or maybe I have just spent too much time institutionalised at school and in the forces and this makes it comfortable for me. Who knows.

Laura and George arrived about 2 hours later after an epic journey of their own that included amongst other things, Caber, (my Black Lab,) delivering his breakfast all over George's books and toys in the front of the car! Too much information? Well I just want Laura to know that I appreciate the lengths that she went to, to come and join me for two days. It was really good to see them and to lead George, sorry, follow George around looking for 'sheeps'.

4 comments:

  1. HOW have you managed to get that far? - in not that long? you're going to have a six pack by the time you get back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great to spend time with you yesterday. Getting up this morning must have been difficult in the rain!

    I hope you managed your planned evening walk. The weather really cleared up here in the evening.

    Got a glimpse yesterday of how great this whole thing can be, and also how grim it can get in places. Just remember what and who you're doing it for when the going gets tough.

    Really please you're meeting such great people.

    Good luck tomorrow (or tonight) and say hello to Laura and George.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I have missed touching base earlier John. I just came back from Brunei, where they are so safety conscious that you are NOT ALLOWED to climb stairs without holding on to the handrail. I am quite sure what you are doing would be BANNED if attempted there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear from you all. SOme would say that this should be banned anyway and the perpetrators put away. As for the 6 pack lizzie, the only muscles that seem to be complaining are my quads and they hurt like crazy. Good to see you too Andy.

    ReplyDelete