Saturday 1 May 2010

John Wayne was a ballet dancer


At least I bet he didn't walk as I am now after 5 days in the saddle.

Some days after the event I am now sat in a coffe shop in Cockermouth. More of that in later blog. For now, however, here's what actually happened.

Laura, George, Caber and I had a leisurely breakfast at 07:30 along with everyone else, before heading out for the hills. Laura drove me to Pen Y Pass, from where there are three routes that you can take to the top. The Miners Track, the Pyg Track and the route over Crib Goch, all start from the car park by the Youth Hostel here. We would have stayed here, but for it being fully booked well in advance.

Caber and I set off just before 9 leaving the L and G to make the drive down to Llanberis and the mountain railway station that would take them to the summit.

The Miner's Track is an easy stroll and chosen for that reason. My legs were tired from cycling and I needed to give them as much of a break as possible. We made good time to the point where you have to start climbing to join the summit ridge. Caber took time to take a swim in the corrie beneath the south face of the mountain whilst I had a chat with the locals.
Within 2 hours we were on the summit and enjoying a coffee in the brand new cafe that I discovered had been opened to the public that very morning. Two years in the building and delayed by adverse weather over the winter, it fits in well with its surroundings and is a welcome resting place for those who still insist in climbing mountains in jeans and plimsoles!! There are plenty of them.

Laura and George duly arrived by the fernicular railway but not before I had managed to bag an interview with the BBC who were covering the opening of the building. More publicity for Sams hopefully.




After a quick stop we all headed down. Caber and I on foot to the train station in Llanberis by which time it was throwing it down in true Snowdonia fashion. We just about managed to miss the worst of it and gladly ticked off the first of the three summits.

The rest of the evening was family time, marking the end of thefirst week and the beginning of the two remaining before I got home.


5 comments:

  1. From Andy on holiday in Denmark (Karen is Lottie's Mum)

    Don't worry Caber, after this trip your master will have got it out of his system!

    Just hide under the table if Laura asks you if you fancy a trip to the Lake District or Scotland!


    John

    Well done for climbing Snowdon - I hope it was a good walk. I hope you have some short days planned soon.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can safely say - much as I'd love to see John again along the way - I don't fancy spending that much time in the car again, with or without a barfbag dog. So no worries for Caber, and George will have to make do with visiting the one (pet) sheep who lives across the road from us.

    Just to let everyone know, John called earlier to say he'd spent over an hour updating his blog in a pub somewhere past Preston (I think), only to lose the signal and thus all his work! Having experienced this (on deadline, no less), I can entirely empathise...he hopes to post an update soon, if he isn't frozen from a rainy, cold headwind when he settles down tonight.

    He's also really grateful for the comments from everyone, so please keep them coming! They're a great boost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, John just called again, whispering that he's just set his tent up behind a church and next to a graveyard. When I pointed out that he probably didn't need to whisper, he said he didn't want to think too hard about who he might disturb! Apparently, all the campgrounds he came across in that part of the Lakes only take caravans, so he's had to resort to spending the night like some kind of late-blooming goth. Somehow, I doubt that even after 79 miles he won't sleep that well tonight, and not primarily because it's cold! I'm having visions of the "Thriller" video...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pah, I'll be fine. Church car park with a connection!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, sorry Karen to disappoint, but Laura knows me better than that. Have a nice day to all in Denmark.

    ReplyDelete