Thursday 6 May 2010

Scafell Pike from Wasdale Head

More perfect conditions you could not ask for to climb a mountain. I woke at 05:30, thought it was 06:30, stripped the bed, used the bathroom, realised that it was 05:30, remade the bed and went back to sleep.

A similar tale was unfolding with the girls who were staying farther up the valley in the Wasdale Head Inn. Too much excitement. I was looking forward to climbing a second 3,000 foot lakeland peak with Lizzie and Anna. We had summited Helvellyn via striding edge 4 years ago in equally good conditions.

At the real 06:30 I packed up again and hit the road. This time the girls were waiting for the red bike as I came up the road. Anna was taking photos from the window and Lizzie met me in the carpark. I was glad for the help up the stairs with the bags.

After a big breakfast we headed out, following the footpath straight from the door. Stopping frequently to ooh and aah at the lambs, (the girls are as mad about them as George had been,) we eventually started the gentle climb across the contours to meet the ridge line up Lingmell.

The gradient increased dramatically from about 100m and with infrequent stops to catch our breath, we were soon on the levelish plateau below Lingmell's peak. From here we had unobstructed views of the summit of Scafell, though Scafell Pike, our destination, was just hidden behind a false summit.

There were patches of snow dotted across the northern flanks of both mountains and we couldn't resist the temptation of standing on one for a quick photoshoot. The ultimate goal pulled us on though and we were very soon atop the highest mountain in England. Two down, one to go!

The girls had done really well, completing the haul up the slopes in two and a half hours. The drop down to the valley took almost as long and was harder on both the knees and the thighs, but the attraction of a swift half in the pub was all the incentive I needed. I was not disappointed.

Discussions with the shopkeeper of the outdoor shop next to the pub persuaded me to change my planned route. Originally I had determined to follow the mountain bike route over Blacksail Pass before dropping down into the valley and out via Ennerdale Water. The steepness of the ascent coupled with the weight that I would have to push, however, made this hopelessly unrealistic and I was glad to change my plans. 'Flexibility is the key to air power' A phrase that I remembered from my time in the Fleet Air Arm, sprang to mind.

I stole a march on the following day by leaving that evening, cycling the 20 miles around the base of the hills, heading west and then north west into the village of Ennerdale Water. It was dark by the time I hid myself, my tent and bike in a wood and dropped off to sleep. A good days work well done.

2 comments:

  1. Your Blogs a pleasure to read John, so glad the
    weather is being kind to you.
    Hope it warms up a bit over the border for you.
    love Diane Johnson xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weather has been very kind. Scottish hospitality even better.

    ReplyDelete