Friday 7 May 2010

Forget the election. Who do you support?

I'll keep you in suspense on that little gem, but check out the photos when I can eventually down load them. I suspect that the 2G signal won't do it tonight, but I'll be sure to add them as soon as I can.

Well today has been a wonderful day in so many ways. It obviously began with waking up in a comfortable double bed as a guest of Alex and Christine, true samaritans in every sense. This blog has been full of thank yous, but this one is truly heartfelt.

After a hearty breakfast I was sent on my way with the wish of a wind at my back. I'm delighted to say that I had that and more. At times 15 knots minimum it boosted me up the hills aswell as down them and I covered the first few miles to my first turning point in next to no time.


Alex had said that I wouldn't miss it, since there was a monument or something there. No guesses to whom it was dedicated, since Robbie Burns figures so large in this part of Scotland.




Leaving Cumnock to the south east I quickly reached Dundonald and took the most fascinating tour around the castle there. I have never had such an interesting and informative walk/talk through the history of a place and I have included the website for your info and a series of pictures to illustrate the evolution of what was at one time and extremely influential seat of power.



















The pictures show its development and how it is now. Check out the website for the detail.

Scooting through Irvine, I picked up NCN route 73 which took me via single track back roads and eventually along the sea front of Ardrossan, straight to the ferry terminal. The ferry didn't leave for nearly two hours, so I had plenty of time to cook some mid-day porridge and check up on the news online.

I had planned this route deliberately to include as many boat journeys as possible. My love of the sea, despite poor sea legs was cemented during 7 and a half years in the RN. I always jokjed that I joined the fleet air arm, so that when it was too rough at sea, we could take off and go flying instead.

The smells and sounds of ships are unique and I still often imagine the hum of the engines when I'm finding it difficult to get to sleep. Not a problem on this trip.

The journey across to Arran was soon over and I had a short 2 hours to pedal across the island to catch the last ferry to the Mull of Kintyre. With a 660 foot climb in the middle and with the tail wind, I completed the 15 miles in just over the hour.

At the other end I met Jean a young French engineering student who was spending four months walking around Scotland pulling his sled behind him. We spent an enjoyable hour or so together celebrating the rich history of adventure and exploration that our two nations share before going our separate ways. I wonder where he is now? I will publish his blog site when I find the piece of paper that he gave me.

Ten miles further along the road I crawled into Tarbert. An historic journey as it happens, since I had completed the same journey 25 years before, when I came here to work on Islay as a warden for the RSPB. My campsite for the night was the castle grounds which looked down on the sleepy fishing village below. Master of all he surveyed.....or maybe not.
I nearly forgot. This ite greeted me as I came into Lochranza. With the deer on one side and the sheep on the other and goals at either end this had to be the strangest line up on a football pitch that I had ever seen. Tempted to say...'great shot from the sheep..oh no one of the deer seems to have gone down!!



















6 comments:

  1. My goodness! Just a couple of days away and it seems you have shot north many 100s of kms! Impressed that you are still able to keep going after two weeks of cycling and porridge. I was only 2 days in the jungle and came back ready to sleep for 2 more days!

    I went to Cameron Highlands, famous for its strawberries, and equally famous in our family for its signs, such as "Self-plucking strawberries" and "Pluck you own strawberry." This time I noticed a new sign, which may be the best yet. It simply said, "Pluck yourself!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have time to tell all in blog. I could write a book about this journey. Saw lots of Eider making their funny call today, plus first pair of Golden Eagle and nesting Hen Harriers.

    By the end of today, should have covered 1,000 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - that's quite a cool bit of face fungus sprouting there - very nautical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, your brother may have had the good graces to resist commenting on your strawberry tale, but I don't; it just made me laugh out loud, as I wind down a long day without any adult company! I will think of it whenever I water my little pot of strawberries. Lots of love to all of yours (family, not berries, that is).
    John, thanks for including the sled and football field shots. 1,000 miles already! I wonder what the grand total will be. And for the record, I like the beardy. What's a bitter-drinking cyclist without a weirdy beardy? X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura

    Thx, I'll miss this blog once it's all over in a week or less, so perhaps you can start one about your strawberry pot!

    John - another vote for the weird beard - Rebekah likes it! I think it just needs topping off with one of those straw boaters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wish that it wasn't grey. I'm not ready to look 50 yet! Or is it 60, the grey beard thing. Doesn't go with my dyed hair!

    ReplyDelete