Saturday 8 May 2010

Don't forget to tidy the kitchen when you've finished!



I left my castle stronghold early as has become normal for me. I rarely stay asleep beyind 05:30 and given the mileage that I would have to cover today, I knew that with the likelihood of lots of stops to take in the amazing scenery, I would need all the day I could get.












I chatted briefly to the old boy who ran the petrol station on the way out of town. At 07:00, he was the only business open, as far as I could tell. Better still, he sold milk. We chewed over the anomoly of the road signs that had Oban anything between 90 and 54 miles away. We both felt pretty sure that 50 was more like it, but that Ballachulish, where I was eventually headed for probably was 80+ miles to the north.

I didn't get far. Four and a half miles out of town I stopped for breakfast. This was my kitchen for today. (Photos later when I have better reception.) I hoped at some point to see Otters from one of these beaches, but there were none here today. I have become adept at cooking a meal, clearing up and getting back on tghe road in pretty short order. You might think that I would want to linger longer, and I would, but I have too far to go today and want to try to squeeze in a longish break in Oban, where I hoped to write up yesterdays fun and games. In anycase on a bicycle you can be looking at everything as you go...including the potholes.

Given the distance I chose to miss out on some of the smaller back roads as I headed north, but the scenery is so stunning that there's much to see wherever you are. The traffic was relatively light this far south, though it certainly picked up north of Oban, including the odd car full of male youth that sadly has to go through the phase of needing to abuse all cyclists verbally even when travelling in the opposite direction???






This chap I'm sure has twice the intellect!

I shall have to try to let the photos that I have from today tell the story, since 86 miles of mountain and shore line might sound rather samey after awhile.
As an aside how about this for an idea how much energy I consume on a day such as this:

Half a packet of jelly babies.
A whole packet of caramel and chocolate digestives.
A full saucepan of porridge.
A full saucepan of pasta and soup mix.
A half a pint of 'kilt lifter' ale.
A serving of fish and chips.
A packet of crisps.
An apple.
Another large helping of tuna and pasta.
A bottle of lager. (Gift from a passing cricket team.)
Oh and 3 cherry scones.

That's what I got through today.
The over riding memory of today will be of the strong headwind that I fear will greet me all the way up the Great Glen, where I shall cycle in a couple of days time. However I also took great pleasure in sitting listening to the Eider Duck persuing this solitary dame. If you can find a video of Eider online, take a listen, they are very funny.

From Oban to Ballachulish they are working hard to complete the new cycle track that follows the old railway line. It will eventually make a superb touring path for anyone wishing to take alook at this part of Scotland by bike.
The path goes all the way into Glen Coe, where I finished my day. Afforded the same generosity
as previous campsites, I delighted in two showers and a very comfortable nights sleep. Take a look at these pictures from my front door.
Oh how could I forget to mention that I also saw my first seal and a pair of Golden Eagles today.















4 comments:

  1. Hi Buddy
    Sorry I have not been blogging, have been i/c of H&S audit all week!! Have read all your blogs though as I wait for chapel service - amazing is all I can say! Photos are all great and what hospitality from folks, it must inspire you even more and so special for you to have met up with all the family. Approaching the big climb now, you must be very excited. Just wish I was with you!! Maybe next time....
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. It gets better each day. Just about to leave coffee shop to start climb this afternoon I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pah! John - I'm sure Paul consumes your daily ration for breakfast.

    Anyone wishing to investigate Eiders further can check this video out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwRPQWdOe9I

    Their calls always remind me of a pair of old ladies exchanging gossip over the garden fence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that Dave. I'm not sure that Paul will, thank you that is, but I concur on the Eider analogy. Particularly funny how they throw their heads back when they're mewing...or however you describe it.

    ReplyDelete