Sunday 9 May 2010

Resting and Waiting

I had some half baked idea that I would climb the Ben today and other other circumstances it would have been possible, but not on the back of nearly 90 miles yesterday.

Having covered the nearly 20 odd miles to Fort William and then on to Youth Hostel, I was again floored by exhaustion. It's funny, but when the body knows that it can stop, it does, completely. I' sure that had I had to do another 70 miles today, i could have done so, but since I didn't, it would have none of it.

As a consequence I have sat in Nevisport, one of my favourite shops in all the world, and drank tea and consumed a small and unhealthy breakfast. I also finished yesterdays blog before heading up Glen Nevis to the youth hostel.

Since I could not book in until 3 pm I set to doing some laundry before settling down to a short nap on one of the sofas. I've said it before, but it bears repeating, 'youth hostels are brilliant.

At about 2 I ventured into the self catering kitchen and set to, to cook myself another enormous bowl of pasta. Here I met Jim, (not his real name,) a 68 year old near Glaswegian, who for the last 10 years had looked after his father at home. His father, then 98 had passed away earlier this year and he was now doing the positive thing and making the most of his time. The loss of his father clearly still hurt deeply and we talked about him for a good while. You're a god man Charlie and your Dad would have been very proud of you. Congratulations to him for climbing Ben Nevis this morning.

So here I am now, sat on the steps of Nevisport, which is now shut, pinching their free wifi facility from outside their front door. Well I have spent good money in there, so I feel entitled. Oh and I did ask.

I purchased some water purifying tablets since I figured that I may not have such easy access to water further north. I'm not too keen to catch some of the sheep bugs that float down stream. Well you have to think of these things.

In awhile I shall head back up the valley, stare longingly at the hill that I shall take on in the early hours tomorrow and get some rest. I suspect that I may also take a look at the river, since all rivers bear some scrutiny, hey Paul.

Wish me luck. Love to all. JB

8 comments:

  1. Whoa - fat-boy breakfast juxtaposed with strangely grey beard... what happened to all the other colours that made up your face fur? It used to look roughly like that plate of food (brown, ginger, black). Maybe instead of a strawberry blog, I can document the evolving nature of your beard. Or maybe you should take some brotherly advice and pluck yourself.
    Will show George his daddy's picture in the morning, to get the honest appraisal. After his announcement to all Waitrose this afternoon ("Mommy's fat!"), I can hardly wait to hear what he has to say about his old man. Laaahhvv yewwww!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just showed George your beardy picture. He laughed and is now wondering where you're hiding (because I'm on a different page) and asking for "Daddy and Caber on a big stone." Oh, and telling me that George omps chickens. So all's normal around here.
    Glad you made the last climb! Well done from us all. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok confused now!! Your blog says you were waiting to climb, but Laura's comment says you have done it! If you have then well done from me too. Like the beard, should be the right length for that extra xmas job in lapland and if you keep eating the same quantaties when you get back then your figure will be ready too (just like mine eh Dave, ha ha ha or should that be ho ho ho!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, I think you are metamorphosing into a cross between Richard Branson and Donald Sutherland!

    All the best with that climb!

    And Paul, I hope we can still be friends!

    Laura, when I showed Rebekah a pic of John with his chin-sprouts and said "Who's that?" she said "Daddy"! It must be the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, John, I fell asleep on a boat to the thrum of engines and the gentle rocking of waves today and thought of you (just before drifting off!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That beard is really grey!! Makes you look old Johnny boy, oh .... you are!! Well done for your amazing achievements to date, see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK you lot, I will tell all about today when I get to it in the morning. Suffice to say that I climbed Ben Nevis and then cycled 74 miles. Am now a little pooped.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Almost forgot you were cycling away all the time we were in Denmark!

    Amazing how far you can get at 10mph if you just keep on plugging away. Also feels like I'm wasting my four bikes in the garage especially as you're now using my old bike to such good effect.

    Your blog is great by the way - a right rivetting read!

    Good luck and remember to enjoy every minute now you're nearing the end of the journey.

    ReplyDelete