Friday 14 May 2010

Epilogue



Now on the train to Edinburgh with the sun cooking me through the window, I look forward to being home again. Ofcourse I know that I shall find another challenge, but I have better and bigger things to focus on for the next few years.

In 6 weeks, if on time, the arrival of a new Bakewell has us nervously excited about which it will be. We are still hunting for boys names, so if you have any ideas that preferrably have no reference to ears, then we are....all ears.
I set out on this journey with the intention of facing the challenge alone. Richard, my cousin was right to have picked up on this, but my offer to him to join me was no less genuine. Having you along Rich would have been no compromise. I cannot think of more than than a small handful of people that I would have done this journey with and he is definately at the top of that list.

For those of you who would regard such a trip as difficult or beyond you, be encouraged to believe in your own ability and resourcefulness. The key is choosing where you set your goals, both interms of your daily mileage and the obstacles that you choose to put in the way on route.

Finding the time is obviously an issue for most people, but these things will always be there for you to enjoy beyond your working years and you would certainly not be the first 'pensioner' to take on cycle touring.

More importantly, however, you never undertake such a journey 'on your own', Behind every amazing opportunity such as this there is a long list of people who make it possible. Bear with me while I try to name a few. Forgive me if I forget some in my first draft, but I will endeavour to make it a complete list in the end.

I would like to thank Andrew Morris a long time friend and someone who will always find time to help you if he can. Through his business 'Mr Cycle' and knowledge of bikes, I ended up with a workhorse fit for purpose. I shall be endlessly grateful for his wisdom in including the 'granny ring.' No hill beat me.

I would like to thank the Samaritans in Ipswich and Bury St Edmunds for turning out in extremely cold February weather. It is one thing to cycle on a turbo trainer for 6 hours, but something else entirely to stand in the cold to support the cause. A sign of dedication of the highest order.

Thank you particularly to the Samaritans of Norwich and in particular Heather and Carol for supporting me from the beginning. For buying into the schemes that I came up with for reaching my fund-raising target and for turning out on three occasions in Norwich City centre to raise the profile and funds for your branch. I hope that it will have proven beneficial to our community.

Thanks to the local government licencing departments in Norwich, Ipswich and Bury, to Chapelfields, The Castle Mall and The Forum for allowing us into your space and to the people of those three cities/towns for your generosity.

Thanks to Kim for looking after the chickens and to Gill for sorting out my leave from work. To all my sponsors online and to the blog contributors along the way.

Thanks too to Christine for bringing Lizzie and Anna to the Lakes so that they could climb Scafell with me and for having Caber to give Laura a break from dog walking.

To all of those of you who showed enormous kindness over the last three weeks, thank you. I only paid for two campsites, had a free haircut in Inverness, free coffee and flapjack in Dolgellau, free bike repair in Dolgellau and Dingwall, sponsorship from passersby and an extremely welcome comfortable night courtesy of Alex and Christine in Cumnock. Spontaneous generosity speaks volumes about you all and made the journey what it was, a truly memorable one.

Thank you to Lizzie, Anna and George for your love and support. I look forward to sharing my stories with you and all the other photos.

Laura, thank you for your faith in me, your willingness to allow me to fulfill this ambition and for your taking on the journey to north Wales so that I could see you and George at the top of Snowdon. I hope that the last three weeks have shown you what I already knew about your strength and resourcefulness. Looking after George on your own was alot harder than cycling a bike. Trust me.

Finally to Grandma, Uncle George, Auntie Diane, Richard, Dorothy and your families and to Matthew, it has been a huge privilage to complete this journey in William's name.

4 comments:

  1. Congragulations John, absolutely fantastic effort, both physically and mentally. The pictures and tales of your travels are an inspiration. We will miss your diary which I have enjoyed reading over my morning coffee. Safe journey and god speed on the most important stage, going home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah!Oh!Sigh!Cry!

    All those emotions and more as I read your final entry John. A truly heroic effort, and though I know it will be great for you and the family to all 'get back to normal' again, I sure will miss these past extraordinary three weeks!

    Need I say...Well done - I'm proud of you?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Hugh, Anna and David and family, it's been great to have you along for the ride. It was an amazing three weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations John,I can only say thankyou
    once more, for all your dedication.
    Love Diane Johnson, William's Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete