Sunday 2 May 2010

In the footsteps of our ancestors

Today's cycle was planned to be the longest of the expedition. At 90 plus miles, with 3500 of decent and 2500 feet of ascent, it had the added spice of including the crossing of the Mersey by ferry.

Before getting that far, however, I planned my departure so that Laura and George could meet up with me again in Betwys y coed (sp) before I headed NW and Laura to the SE and home.

Not surprisingly the majority of the first 10 miles or so were downhill and equally predictable was the clearing of the skies to reveal that most elusive of summits, just as I was leaving her behind. Talk about playing hard to get!

Snowdon is the pinnacle in the centre, the left of the three together. This is probably the best view of Snowdon that I have had in 5 visits.

George helped me out with a fruit pastry before we finally said our goodbyes. I think that he woudl happily have completed the journey with me. I shall certainly be getting a seat for him on my return so that we can get out together.


















The cycle across the fells toward Denbigh and then the Wirral were in places lonely and barren but no less beautiful in their own way. Denbigh castle as with many in North Wales sat large and imposing above the town; its walls sowing evidence of its demise, though still impressive in extent and complexity.

Thanks to Sustrans I was able to navigate my way through Queensferry and the industrial areas north of Chester, the city of my University education. I was sorry not to have had the time to call in. If you get the chance though, then do. The Romand history of this city, is very much in evidence, along with the famous two tierd shops that encircle the centre. I'm sorry not to be able to give more information as to the dates and history of this great city, indeed am ashamed not to be able to remember it, being a one time history student, but look it up anyway. you won't be disappointed aby a visit there.

Eventually, after overshooting the first ferry terminal, I arrived at the northern terminal just in time to catch the last crossing at 18:30. I'm not sure why, but I found myself getting sucked into the nostalgia associated with arriving in Liverpool across the Mersey, but there you are.
More significantly, this fine city was the home of my father-in-laws father, before he left these shores for a new life in America. Now living in Detroit, Laura's parents and their families have a history and a tale worth telling on its own, being not untypical of many early migrants from these shores. Interestingly I shall be passing through the home of his mother's family later today. Carlisles from near Dumfries, we have found gravestones in the local churchyard that were possibly of the same family. It's a small world.


My anxieties about cycling through Liverpool, a city that I knew nothing of, were simplified by the discovery that the Leeds Liverpool canal
traversed the city from it's centre, heading NW. If I followed the tow path, (the beginning of which is shown here,) I would pop out near to the town of Ormskirk. Not far from there I succesfully found Abbey Farm Campsite, but not before getting thoroughly rained on and completing the last hour of the day in the dark. A long day indeed, but I was till on the pace.....just.




8 comments:

  1. I watched Wayne Rooney wearing gloves in Sunderland last night, so I expect you'll be needing your extra woollies! (Hope you brought 'em). If not, you might have to go looking for sheeps again!

    Brrr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched Wayne Rooney wearing gloves in Sunderland last night, so I expect you'll be needing your extra woollies! (Hope you brought 'em). If not, you might have to go looking for sheeps again!

    Brrr!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason I am allowed to post either zero or two comments, so sorry for duplication.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was it something I said? What's happening over there???

    May your quads stay strong and your baths be cold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, not sure what's going on there. I have been out of 'radio contact for a couple of days because of mountains etc but am now about to update you all. David nand or Paul if you are able to help M&D work out how to post comments that would be great.

    Check back a few days. I'm about to fill in the gaps as best as I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go Johnny!

    Only taken us a week to find you blog! Great to see you last week. As you are still in sheep country,
    A New Zealander is walking along the road with a sheep under each arm. He meets another Kiwi who says, 'You sheerin' mate?' and the first guy replies 'Naw, they're all mine!
    Don't worry there are plenty more where that came from, you have been warned!
    Stick at it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice one. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete